Listen to my episode, HERE!
Rooted deep in the St. Louis food and wellness scene, Caryn Dugan is STLVegGirl, a plant-based personality, nutrition and culinary educator with a simple mission, “A Plant on Every Plate™.”
Caryn adopted a plant-based diet in response to tragedy; in 2008, cancer took her father at an early age and 10 weeks later, tried to take her. In response to her diagnosis, she searched for an answer and found one in the growing body of literature supporting a whole food, plant-based diet to bolster our natural immune system. Adopting a plant-based diet herself and beating cancer, she sought to share her knowledge to help others.
In 2011, Caryn studied in Washington, DC, under the direction of Neal Barnard MD at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s (PCRM) Food For Life program, becoming a certified instructor. Bringing this knowledge home, she teaches immune boosting, plant-based cooking classes at the Cancer Support Center of St. Louis for the benefit of others who have, like her, met cancer at the door.
Caryn went on to form STLVegGirl, LLC, St. Louis’ first fully plant-based entity providing cooking instruction, personal cheffing, and collaborative restaurant events. She regularly appears in cooking and nutrition segments on St. Louis affiliates of NBC, CBS and Fox morning shows.
Caryn has continued to earn her spurs as a graduate of:
- Rouxbe Cooking School Plant-Based Professional Program
- Wellness Forum’s Plant-Based Certified Personal Chef Program
- Complete Health Improvement Program (CHIP) as a Lifestyle Medicine Institute Certified Program Facilitator
- Wellcoaches as a Certified Health and Wellness Coach
She has also teamed up with Forks Over Knives to create the first ever
Forks Over Knives Community and Support Program which piloted in St. Louis at at Dierbergs Markets and continues to sell out. Most recent speaking engagements include Caryn presenting culinary instruction in Naples, Florida to a group of 100 attendees at Total Health Immersions, Health Retreat where immersionists reportedly marked weight and inches lost, a decrease in insulin and blood pressure medication administration, and chronic illness reversal all within the span of six days.
National exposure includes Naked Food Magazine featuring Caryn in its Spring 2017 Anniversary issue where she received three full pages, and now she is currently writing her first cookbook.
- 6:33 – Caryn’s Father’s journey is the beginning of her own harrowing journey…
- 13:05 – Getting the news that will change your life forever…
- 19:10 – Why Caryn decides to “Go Vegan”
- 22:24 – What the heck is this green stuff? Thank goodness for Google!
- 24:42 – “You’re gonna kill us”, Caryn’s husband rebels.
- 26:12 – The class that began the recovery of body and soul.
- 28:23 – The Law of Attraction
- 32:10 – STLVegGirl is born!
- 39:54 – The full circle moment of Caryn’s teaching.
- 42:37 – What is Caryn up to now?
- 48:34 – Best advice for first-time, first-try vegans right here!
- 54:19 – What Caryn ate today! Pop Quiz!
- 58:46 – Lemonade Moments!